Saturday, April 17, 2010

Book Club

I am so excited for my book club to meet this week. The last time we met was February 23, a day that didn't turn out anything like I expected.

We were supposed to meet at my house. None of us were too excited about the book we'd read, but getting together was half of the fun. My house was clean and ready. Matt was out of town, but I would be able to get the girls to bed while my friends poured the wine and settled in for a good discussion.

I barely remember the call to Amy. I was sitting in my co-worker's car, blocks away from our house, and still hadn't seen the site with my own eyes. Book club will need to be canceled...you might be able to see it on TV...I don't really know what I said, but I remember how incredulous the words sounded as they came out of my mouth.

I spent the next hour or two trying to get information from the police, watching the scene on TV with other neighbors, checking in with the vet about Grete's status, and responding to calls, text messages, emails, and Facebook messages about whether everyone was OK. It was surreal. I had no idea what I should be doing.

Later that night, my friends came to visit me at my parent's house. They brought clothes and supplies and the cake they had planned to surprise me with for my birthday. But most of all they brought me comfort.

Book club will be at another friend's house this week, and hopefully it will be a fun and completely uneventful night. Now, I just need to finish the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment