Sunday, October 24, 2010

Truly Exceptional

At a recent workshop I attended on customer experience, our speaker pointed out how Starbucks has managed to create an amazing "third space" that we've all come to rely on between home and work.  If you are a Starbucks or Caribou addict like I am, you know what she means.

A few months ago, I was going through the drive-through of my "third space" when something truly amazing happened: the driver in front of me paid for my drink!  I was blown away.  In fact, I was speechless and dumb-founded.  I drove to work and told all of my coworkers.  I posted it on my Facebook page.   I really couldn't believe it.  And it made my day.   

But then I started wondering, what is wrong with me?  Why did this one small act of kindness, given all of the exceptional generosity and unexpected support we've had since February 23, put me into a tail spin?   

"Exceptional becomes truly exceptional when it becomes the rule."  Linda Ireland made this comment about the customer experience, but I love the broader meaning it has.  My Starbucks friend didn't know if I was having a bad day, or a bad year, but she chose to be generous - just because.  Generosity can be the rule, with or without a reason for it.  It can be a gift, or as simple as a smile.  It's listening, or asking how you can help.  It's being patient with each other.  It's something I've relied on this year more than ever, and it is truly exceptional when it is present in your life.             

2 comments:

  1. Funny coincidence. I used to work with Linda Ireland. She was our VP of e-commerce when we first started our website back in 2000 or so.

    Scott from LCCR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post. I was having a bad day yesterday and a friend understood and was just simply patient, and my aunt washed our dishes. What a gift. I am blessed and thankful.

    ReplyDelete