Thursday, March 18, 2010

Grief

Despite holding it together most of the time, there are moments when it all seems overwhelming. This is one of those moments. I had just flipped open my laptop to check e-mail and update the blog when I heard crying from upstairs. I ran up the stairs to check on whomever was upset, and found Marit sitting in the middle of her room, cross legged, bawling, and repeating the words, "I...want...to...go...home" in between her sobs. I scooped her up, hugged her tightly and gently reminded her that this is home. As I tucked her back into bed, she quickly drifted off to sleep. Now, I'm back at my laptop, googling "grief in children," mad at myself for assuming Marit wouldn't be as affected by this as the rest of us, thinking about calling a friend who is a grief counselor, and just wishing I could make it better for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment